Big Tobacco’s Influence in NYS!
- The tobacco industry spends approximately $443.8 million each year in marketing to convince New Yorkers to use their deadly products.
- Currently, 13.8% of high school students use tobacco in NYS.
- 65% of youth rated movies, rated PG-13, have had smoking in them in the last 18 years.
- 25,400 adults die each year in NYS from a tobacco related illness and 3,040 adults die from exposure to Second-Hand Smoke
- Smoking illnesses cost New York $8.17 billion dollars a year in health care. That equals out to almost $900 a household.